- This event has passed.
Game Off 2019
Game Off is our annual game jam, where participants spend the month of November creating games based on a secret theme. The themes for 2017 and 2018 were Throwback and Hybrid respectively, and they gave rise to some great games!
This year’s theme will announced on Friday, November 1, at 13:37 pm PT.
Join the jam now and be among the first to know this year’s theme.
🕹 How to participate
- Create a game based on the theme over the next month.
- Sign up for a free GitHub account if you don’t already have one. It’s free!
- Join the Game Off on itch.io. If you don’t already have an itch.io account, log in with your GitHub account.
- Create a new public GitHub repository to store the source code and any assets you’re able to share for your entry and push your changes before December 1 13:37 PDT.
- Submit your game through itch.io.
🕹 Help—I’ve never created a game before!
With so many free, open source game engines and tutorials available online, there’s never been an easier (or more exciting!) time to try out game development.
- Comfortable with C++ or C#? Look at Godot, Unity and Unreal Engine.
- Proficient with Python? Check out Pygame or Godot (Godot uses GDScript, which is similar to Python).
- Dangerous with Java? Take a look at libGDX.
- In love with Lua? Check out LÖVE or Defold. Like retro games too? Drop everything and check out LIKO-12!
Do you really like retro games? Maybe you can…
- Crank out a text adventure in or some interactive fiction with Clojure or Ink (similar to Markdown).
- Craft that 8-bit console game you always fantasized about with PICO-8, Pixel Vision 8, TIC-80 (Lua), BASIC8 (Basic), or Pyxel (Python).
Participate yourself or as a team. Looking for a team, or want to start one? Check out the Crowdforge page to find people to jam with.
– a few highlights:
+ free sounds with every issue: